20th C Broket emigrants to Australasia
Those still living are obviously not included here.
- after 1901? William Henry Brockett, b 1874 Bedford District
- after 1901 Thomas Brocket, b 1882 Carnwath, Lanarkshire
- after 1918 Thomas Stevenson Brockett, b 1892 Old Monkland, Glasgow. Married Thelma Mary BROWN of Tasmania. Thomas died 1938. Further details here.
- after 1918 Edward Solly Brockett, b 1879 Stotfold, Bedfordshire
- 1925 Harry Kenneth Brockett, b 1901 Kettering, Northants, s/o William Henry. Said to have died in Australia 1925. Further details here.
- 1925 Peter McReadie Robertson Brocket of Clydebank, Glasgow, aged 21. Further details here.
- 1927 Roderick William BROKET-WATSON, b 1905 or 6. Further details here.
- Polly Brockett of Clydebank, Glasgow, to Adelaide. Further details here.
- Sep 1950 Philip James “Jim” Brockett of Edmonton, London.
- Dec 1950 Hugh McLuskie Brockett of Clydebank, Glasgow, to Brisbane. Further details here.
- 1951 Margaret Brockett of Clydebank, Glasgow1. Further details here.
- c 1979 Albert and Beatrice Brockett of London, to NZ. Further details here.
William Henry, b 1874, Bedford District.2 Third surviving son of Thomas and Mary TEBBUTT of Bromham. Possibly married 19013 Flor SKELLS Kettering Northants, but “emigrated to Australia where he died a bachelor in the 1959”.4 Passenger Lists to Australia 1897-1963 show William arriving in Fremantle in 1911 and Florence, Housewife, aged 34, arriving there in 1913 with Harry K, aged 11. The 1916 Electoral rolls for Bunbury, Swan, Western Australia, show William, Bootmaker, in Stephen St, and Florence, Housewife, in Clifton St.
Thomas, b 22 Dec 1882, Stobwood, Carnwath, Lanarkshire.5 He was still at his parents’ home in Carnwath in 1901, aged 18,6 but had emigrated to New Zealand at least by 2 Apr 1917, when he signed up in Gore. He married Elizabeth Georgina DUNCAN 16 Jul 1930 in the Presbyterian Church, North Invercargill, New Zealand, she a Spinster, aged 42, he a Bachelor, 47, occupation Storeman.7 Full details of his life in New Zealand with several pictures 1900-58 and of his service in World War I in the Middle East are recorded in D Brocket. He died 23 Nov 1958, East Gore, NZ. Children:
- J Duncan, b NZ. Married Margaret Jean MEDLAND (d 1999). Duncan died 2016. 1 son, 3 daughters.
- Thistle, b c 1933. Married. Died Sep 2014 in New Zealand. 3 daughters.
Edward Solly, b 30 Sep 1879 Stotfold,8 youngest s/o Solomon and Jane. ‘Ted, ‘Tecoma’ 39 Smith St, Manly N.S.W.’ or also ‘Sgt. E. Brockett 20th Battalion, 5th Brigade, A.E.F.’, so it appears that he was in the army in in Australia. Brother of emigrants Charles Frederick and Alfred.
Son of namesake Philip James and Annie Amelia PHIPPS, born 1914 in Hornsey, Edmonton District.9 Aged about 5 or 6, Jim was fostered out to a family in Barnet, Herts. From that time onwards he saw little of his mother and father, and later even lost touch with his only sister who had been fostered to another family. He married Winnie Millicent POCOCK 2 May 1936 in Barnet.10
Jim spent most of the war years in the British Army in N Africa and whilst there he developed a taste for warmer weather, so when he was demobbed in 1946 life in a sunnier climate was never far from his thoughts.11 In Sep 1950 he and Winnie and their two sons emigrated to Australia on the SS Cameronia from Glasgow arriving Fremantle, sponsored by relatives of Winnie’s who had emigrated to Sydney before the First World War. Over the next 30 years Jim did a variety of jobs and lived in various places like Homebush, Granville, Sydney, Wellington, Dubbo (20 years), Long Jetty. Win worked as a stenographer. Jim died 1998 in New South Wales, Australia, and Winnie died there in Apr 2003. Children:
- Richard John, b 19 Sep 1938 in Barnet, Herts.12 Joined the Australian army in 1956 and served in Malaya in the late 1950’s and later did two tours in Vietnam as an Intelligence Officer. He spoke Vietnamese. Returned to Australia 1972.13 Died of cancer 20 Aug 2000 in Australia. 2 daughters, 2 sons.
- others living.
Page Last Updated: April 6, 2019