Brocket Hall - The Broket Archive

Brocket Hall in Hertfordshire


+++

“…the ancient Seat of the Brockets, situated upon a dry Hill in a fair Park, well wooded and greatly timber’d, enclosed with a brick Wall on the West Side of the Road, for the Length of a Mile, and plentifully water’d with the River Lea.”

So wrote the historian of Hertfordshire Chauncy in the 1690s.1 And Clutterbuck, his early 19th C successor, wrote:2

“This seat stands in a beautiful park on the North-East bank of the river Lea. It derives its name from its antient proprietors, the family of Brocket.”

Page under construction! Please make sure to check back in a while or else send us a message and we’ll let you know when the page is published.

Page Last Updated: May 27, 2018

Footnotes

For full bibliographical details please see the sections Publications or Glossary.

Expand

[1] 1826 vol 2 p 16

[2] Clutterbuck 1815-27 vol 2 p 359. See also Gover et al 1938 p 127.