20th Century London Brocketts
1. Frederick and Edith HAND of Willesden 1870-?1949
2. James William of Twickenham, Richmond and Sunbury 1879-1942
3. George and Annie Martha WHITE of Willesden 1879-
4. Alfred John and Harriett HOLMAN of Kennington 1881-1954
5. Reginald and Florence SILLITOE of Stockwell 1883-1950
6. Frank and Ellen SMITH of Muswell Hill and Portsmouth 1888-1916
2nd son of William and Emily SYMONDS of Willesden, born 1870 in Cambridge District.1 Frederick was convicted of rape at the Old Bailey in 1890 and sentenced to 7 year’s penal servitude. He married Edith Maud HAND 23 Jul 1899 in Willesden Parish Church.2 Frederick probably died 1949 St Marylebone, London, aged 78.3 Edith M probably died 1957 Middlesex S, aged 77, ie b c 1880.4
Census records for Frederick and Edith:Read more
1901: At 48 Guilsborough Rd, Willesden St Marys, Frederick, 30, Carpenter, b Cambridgeshire; Edith Maud, 21, b Bedfordshire; Ellise, 1, b Willesden.
1911: >At 119 Villiers Rd, Willesden Green, Edith, 31, married 12 years, Laundry Work, b Bedfordshire; 3 children all at school and b Willesden: Florence, 9; John, 7; Albert, 5. 5 children born alive, 4 still living; 1 room in the dwelling; entry written and signed by Edith. Daughter Elise Symons, 11, was at the home of Mary ROBERTS, 58, married, 41 Paxton Rd, Tottenham, Middlesex, Cousin, at school, b High Rd, Willesden. Frederick was not with them, nor apparently elsewhere in the census, unless—as is probable—he was at 22 Lichfield Grove, Finchley, Fredrick, 32, Boarder (crossed out and corrected to Head), Bricklayer, b Cambridge; Ethel, 26, Boarder (crossed out and corrected to Wife), b Romford. Married (crossed out) 1 year, no children born. 2 rooms in the dwelling; entry probably written by Fredrick, but signed by Ethel. There is no other unaccounted-for Frederick known who was born between 1870-80 and no unaccounted-for record of a marriage between 1905-12, so he probably provided a false age and marriage status. Whether he stayed with Ethel or returned to Edith is not known.
Frederick’s occupation: 1901, 04, 07, 20 and 41, Carpenter (Journeyman),5 1922, 24 Carpenter.6
Resided: 1899, 7, Edith Terrace, Willesden;7 1901, 427 High Rd, Willesden,8 1904, 439 High Rd, Willesden,9 1905, 6 Preston Place, Belton Rd, Willesden;10 1907, 278 Chapter Rd, Willesden.11
Called James Frederick 1941.12 Children:
- Elise Symons, b 1900, Marylebone.13 Second name Symons was probably after grandmother Emily SYMONDS. Elsie Symons married 7 Oct 1920 Herbert Arthur Harold SKEELS at the Register Office, Edmonton, she aged 21, Spinster, Motor Car Accessories Inspector, of 129 Boundary Rd, Tottenham, he 23 , Bachelor, Draper’s Assistant, of 1 Albany Rd, Tottenham, her mother a witness.14 If Skeels’ first name was Sydney, then ‘Elsie’ could be a transcript error. Elise and husband Sydney are said to have worked as Working Men’s Club Stewards in Tottenham. . They had issue.
- Florence Edith, b 19 Nov 1901, 427 High Rd, Willesden.15 Married 6 Aug 1922 Thomas Edward SCUDDER Parish Church of St Andrew, Willesden, Middx, she aged 20, Spinster, of 302 Chapter Rd, he 21, Bachelor, Grocer, of 76 Chaplin Rd, her father a witness.16
- John ‘Jack‘ Edwin, b 17 Feb 1904, 439 High Rd, Willesden.17 Second name given as Edward in his MC and son Douglas’ BC and MC. He married 7 Sep 1924 Emily Alice BAILES Willesden, he aged 20, Bachelor, Metal Polisher, of 8 Northcote Rd, she 19, Spinster, of 13 Leopold Rd, E Brockett a witness, probably his mother.18 Children:
- Ronald F, b 1926 Marylebone;19 d 1927 Willesden20
- Charles R F, b 1929 Willesden;21 d 1930 Willesden22
Jack then lived with Lydia Edith SKINNER from 1933. He moved from Wood Green, London, to Luton probably by 1936, certainly by 1944. He and Lydia never married, although she was known by the surname. In the 1960s Jack contracted multiple sclerosis and Lydia left to live with another man. Children of Jack and Lydia:
- Douglas John, b 31 Mar 1934, Ealing, sub-district Chiswick, London; Worked in repairs in Vauxhall Motors and latterly became a Lorry Driver. Married 1955 Luton.23 Died 5 Sep 1999. 2 daughters, 3 sons.
- Peter James, b 29 Jul 1936 Luton,24 m 1954 Luton,25 resided Luton and died there 27 May 1978 aged 4226 at 94 Wigmore Lane, Luton, Administration Oxford 11 Oct £4,082.27 1 son, 3 daughters.
Jack died of multiple sclerosis 1974 Luton Beds, aged 70.28 Lydia E M Brockett married 1971 Isle of Wight Hants29 and Lydia Edna May Brockett died 15 Feb 2000 at 1 Macnamara Cottages, Market Hill, Cowes, IOW, will pr Oxford 16 Jun, net not exceeding £200,000.30 There are no records of a relevant GRO records of an Emily or Alice dying, so Jack’s wife may not have died at that time. Perhaps around the time their 4th child was born they split up and Jack joined Lydia and Douglas was born soon after.
- Albert James, b 24 Apr 1905, 6 Preston Place, Belton Rd, Willesden.31 Married 1 Jun 1941 Violet Winifred SKERRATT at St John the Baptist Parish Church, Tottenham, Edmonton, he aged 35, Bachelor, Welder, she 21, Spinster, both residing 258 White Hart Lane, N17, witness T E SCADDER [sic? sister Florence or her husband?].32 Resided Muswell Hill. He died 1972 Islington London, aged 67.33 No issue. Violet probably married again 1978 Eastbourne Sussex … BOLGER .34
- Ronald, b 8 Oct 1907, 278 Chapter Rd, Willesden;35 died 1909 Willesden, aged 2.36
- Cissie. There are no records of a Cissie in GRO. It was probably a nickname, and she may have been one of the other daughters of Frederick and Edith. Like sister Elise, she and husband ?Sydney are said to have worked as Working Men’s Club Stewards. They had issue.
- Doris Mary, b Willesden 1916, mother HEAD [in error for HAND].37 Married 22 May 1938 Robert ‘Bob’ Albert GARRATT at St Joseph’s RC Church, Harrow Weald, Hendon, she aged 22, Spinster, Baker’s Shop Assistant, of 7 Warwick Parade, Belmont, he 26, Bachelor, Book Seller’s Assistant, of 61 Victoria Gardens, Wembley.38 They had issue.
1st son of David Brockett and Selina CLARKE, James ‘Jim’ was born 9 Apr 1879, Twickenham, baptised 27 Jul 1879, Guilden Morden Chapel in his parents’ home parish. He married twice and had 9 children—details on a separate page. He is to be distinguished from James William Brockett, b 1860, Bedford District, d 1938 Alloa, Scotland, son of John and Elizabeth RUSSELL.
6th son of William and Emily SYMONDS of Willesden, George was born 9 Oct 1879 at Enfield Rd, Hornsey.39 Mistakenly recorded as aged 13 in the 1881 census transcript—probably a mistranscription or corruption of 18 months, which would heve been his age on 3rd/4th April when it was taken. He married Annie Martha WHITE 21 May 1899 Willesden Parish Church, aged 19, Bachelor, she aged 17, Spinster, both residing 6 Holly Lane, Willesden.40 George’s family lived next door to George and Margaret WHITE and family in 1891.41 Annie Martha was sometimes recorded as Martha Annie.42 No apparent death of either in GRO before 1955.
Census records for George and family:Read more
1911: At 32 Westbury Rd, Willesden, George, aged 31, Head, General Labourer, b Enfield Rd, Hornsey; wife Annie, 29, b High Rd, Willesden; [her brother?] Boarder Alfed WHITE, 22, Single, Slater’s Labourer; son William, 11, at School, b Holly Lane, Willesden; Annie M, 9, at School, b High Rd, Willesden; Elizabeth, 6, at School, b High Rd, Willesden; Winnie D, 3, b Taylor L[ane], Willesden. 7 children born alive, 4 still living. 3 rooms in the dwelling, including the kitchen [!]. Entry signed and written by George.
War record for George:43Read more
His name was given as William George on the birth certificate of son William George in 1899, perhaps by dittography; but just George in all other records. Annie bore George up to 15 children over 25 years, while she was 17-42, of whom ?6 died young, and only 3 may have living Brockett descendants. Children :
- William George, b 26 Jul 1899 6 Holly Lane, Church Rd, Willesden.49 Not in the list of children in father’s war papers 1919. Married 20 Aug 1921 Beatrice May BISHOP at Willesden Register Office, he aged 22, Bachelor, Labourer, residing 60 Roundwood Rd, she 21, Spinster, residing 23 Berry St.50 6 daus, 1 son 1924-43. Not known if daughters are still living, but the only son Raymond J, was born and died Willesden 1943.51 William’s occupation 1949 Master Builder and Decorator, presumably still living then.52 Beatrice May probably died 5 Jul 1982 Luton Beds, aged 80.53 No apparent death record in GRO for William or George.
- Annie May, b 6 Aug 1901 423 High Rd, Willesden.54 Married 29 Dec 1923 Albert Ernest FULLER at the Parish Church, Willesden, she aged 22, Spinster, he 25, Bachelor, Gunner RN, both residing 10 Roundwood Rd.55
- Edward George, b 9 Aug 1902 423 High Rd, Willesden, Hendon,56 d 1902 Hendon, aged 0.57
- Elizabeth, b 13 Apr 1904, 423 High Rd, Willesden.58 Married 16 Jul 1927 Alec Frank SWALES at St Saviour’s Church, Paddington, London, she aged 23, Spinster, Laundress, residing 25 Bristol Mews, he 23, Bachelor, Pastry Cook, residing 17 Bristol Mews, 2 of the witnesses Elizabeth’s mother Annie Martha and eldest brother William George.59
- George, b 15 Sep 1906 at 1 Drayton Terrace, Holly Lane, Willesden,60 d 1907 Hendon, aged 0.61
- Winnie Doris, b 12 Nov 1907 Willesden,62 1908 Hendon.63 Married 28 Aug 1932 Frederick George BARBER in St Andrew’s Pariush Church, Willesden, as Doris Winifred, aged 24, Spinster, of 86A Deacon Rd, he 22, Bachelor, Hairdresser, of 55 Town Rd, Edmonton, [sister] K Brockett a witness.64
- Albert, b 3 Mar 1909 433 High Rd, Willesden, Hendon;65 died 1910 Willesden aged 1.66
- Edith V, b and d 1912 Willesden67
- Alfred John, b 28 May 1915 at 60 Roundwood Rd, Harlesden, Willesden.68 No marriage recorded before 1955. ?Witness to younger brother Albert’s marriage 1948. Died 1983 Hendon, aged 68.69
- Ernest, b 1917 Willesden,70 d 1919 Willesden aged 1.71
- Hilda Gwendoline, b 1918 Willesden;72 d 1919 Willesden aged 0.73
- Beatrice J, b 1922 Willesden;74 d 1923 Willesden aged 0.75
Alfred John 2nd son of Charles and Emily O’DANIELS, born 1881.76 He married Harriett HOLMAN 1906 in Lambeth.77 Resided 1941 and 1954, Kennington. Occupation 1947 Messenger Office of Works,78 1958 Porter Ministry of Works, deceased,79 1972 Security Officer, deceased.80 Alfred died 23 Nov 1954 Lambeth London, aged 7381 estate £701 11s 8d.82 Harriett died 1971 Lambeth London, aged 90, ie b c 1881.83
Census records for Alfred and family:Read more
- Alfred Charles, b 2 Oct 1906, Kennington.85 Married … HARRIS 1933 Southwark London.86 1 dau.
- Stanley William, b 4 Oct 1912, Kennington.87 Lost an eye at the age of 6 or 7. Drummer. Resided Clapham. Married 9 Jan 1947 Kathleen COLLINS at the Marylebone Register Office, he aged 34, Bachelor, Musician (Drums), of 30 Methley St, SE11, she 23 [ie b c 1924], Widow, of 60 Abbey Rd, NW8, formerly STOREY.88 1 son. The family was residing 1948 at 30 Methley St, Kennington, SE11, his occupation Musician.89 They divorced 7 Nov 1957, but married each other again 4 Oct 1958 at the Battersea Register Office, he aged 46, Braille Printer, she Typist Cosmetics Manufacturers, both of 15 Manchuria Rd, Battersea, SW11.90 They must have divorced a second time because Stanley William married again 31 Aug 1972 and Kathleen had had a son by another man in May 1965, registered 24 Sep 1965 and again 31 Aug 1966 under the surname Brockett, but who took on the surname of his father, she at the time was residing 16 High St, Wimbledon, SW19.91 Kathleen died 27 Jun 1980, surname Brockett, residing 88 Russell Rd, Wimbledon, London SW19, will pr Brighton 18 May 1981, estate valued at £28,129.92 Stanley William married 31 Aug 1972 Gwendolen POLLARD at Saltash Register Office, St Germans, Cornwall, he aged 59, previous marriage dissolved, Proof Putter (Publications) (Blind Institute), of 15 Manchuria Rd, Battersea, London SW11, she 58, Widow, formerly WATERHOUSE, Dining Room Supervisor (Holiday Camp), of “Treweeke”, Seaton Park, Downderry.93 Gwendoline died 31 Aug 1981 of cardiac arrhythmia, myocardial infarction and ischaemic heart disease at the West Cornwall Hospital, Penzance, b 7 Jan 1914, w/o of Stanley William, Professional Drummer (retired) of 5 Tencreek Ave, Penzance, informant daughter [by her previous marriage].94 Stanley William of 5 Tencreek Ave, Penzance, died 3 Jul 1984, will pr Bristol 6 Aug, estate valued at £50,389.95
- Leonard Reginald, b 20 Nov 1914, Lambeth.96 Killed in action 27 Dec 1941. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website records him as Sergeant, 50 Sqdn, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, aged 27.
Reginald ‘Ridge’ 3rd son of Charles and Emily O’DANIELS, born Aug 1883,97 and died Aug 1950.98 He married Florence Annie Ada SILLITOE 8 Jun 1919 in Christ Church, Brixton.99 Brought up by his mother’s brother and his wife.100 His father died when he was 10. Florence Annie died 1974 Camberwell London, aged 87.101
Census records for Reginald:Read more
1901: With mother Emily at 17 Cowley Rd, Lambeth, Redginal, 17, Brewer’s Assistant, b London Chelsea.
1911: Reginald, aged 26, single, Hay Warehouseman, b Tower of London, Middlesex, was a Boarder at 241 Mayall Rd, Herne Hill, Lambeth, the home of Robert HILL, a 58 year old Railway Platelayer’s Labourer. Also living in the dwelling, which had 4 rooms (including the kitchen), was Hill’s 53 year old sister; her son—a Carter for a Corn Merchant—aged 21; and another Boarder—a Metal Trader—aged 54. One assumes Hill and his sister each had a room, with the other three men in the remaining room.
Served in the army in WW1, and was in Salonika, Greece. Was wounded in the arm and returned to the UK. The Depression of the 1930s was a tough time. The family lived in Stockwell until 1936, when they moved to Herne Hill, London SE24. Occupation: Many things, including Brewer’s Assistant, Hay Warehouseman. Van Driver, Milkman. 1 son.
Reginald and Florence had a single child: Reginald Arthur Walter, b 5 Jun 1921 Stockwell, Lambeth, London.103 He was an early participant in the Y-DNA project. Died 22 Nov 2016, Southed-on-Sea, Essex.104 Further details to follow.
2nd son of David and Selina CLARKE, Frank was born 30 Jul 1888, Twickenham and married Ellen SMITH 21 Jan 1914 in Elm Grove Baptist Chapel, Southsea. They had one son Frank Neil Brockett. Further details to follow.
1911: Nellie BROCKETT. Aged 16, Single, b London, Bermondsey, working as a Refectory Domestic in a Catholic Skin Disease Hospital. No birth of a Nellie, or name that could be changed to Nellie, in GRO 1878-1882. Possibly a descendant of Thomas of Lambeth.
1909:16 Oct. Emily Florence BROCKETT. Married aged 40, Spinster, daughter of John, Builder, at St Pauls Parish Church, Wimbledon Park, to William Michael COFFEY, 71, Widower, Engineer, both residing 19 Burr Rd, Southfields.105 Of the 5 Emily births recorded in the GRO 1838-76, two are possible (2 and 4 below):
1. 1847 qtr 1 Gateshead. Married 1867 John POTTS.
2. 1863 qtr 2 Wandsworth. In 1909 aged c 46. No apparent record after 1863 in the GRO, nor in the 1871 census
3. 1867 qtr 3 Bedford District. To New Zealand 1875.
4. 1874 qtr 1 Wandsworth. In 1909 aged c 35.
5. 1876 qtr 1 Royston District Herts. In 1909 aged c 33. Died unmarried 1926 Guilden Morden.
1913: 10 Sep. Catharine BROCKETT. Married aged 20, Spinster, residing 108 Fonthill Rd, daughter of Thomas, Coal Porter, deceased, at the Register Office, Islington, to Peter William Isaac LUTMAN, 22, Bachelor, Laundry Carman, residing 31 Campbell Rd.106
Page Last Updated: April 6, 2020