The Brockats of Scotland 19-20th C: Carstairs
One family lived in Carstairs—that of William and Christian GELLIE—most of whom moved to Glasgow, where the clan continued only for a generation. The line was doubtless part of the Carnwath clan, and has died out in the male line. They usually spelt their name Brockat.
Contents of this page:
- William c 1752-1824 and Christian GELLIE
- Andrew 1791-1855, son of William and Christian, and Elizabeth THOMSON
William at the head of the clan was born c 1752 and died of cancer 4 Dec 1824 in Carstairs.1 He and Christian GELLIE married first in her parish—Mid Calder—29 Oct 1785, and the next day in his—Carstairs, c 20 miles south. William was a Smith and Farmer,2 Master Blacksmith.3 Christian d 1801 aged 39, ie b c 1762. Children:
- Margaret, chr 16 Jul 1787; d 25 Mar 1825.4
- Janet, chr 26 Apr 1789; d 12 Aug 1876, Carstairs, aged 87, informant sister Helen. She and husband William RUSSEL, Shepherd, were recorded in Carstairs for the 1841, 51, 61 and 71 censuses. The 1841 census also recorded their daughter Christina, aged 30, who by the 1861 census was the Widow of James JACK, Mason, and lived at Bonhill, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire, with 4 children aged 18-9 and aunt Helen.
- Andrew, b 1791; d 1855.
- William, chr 16 Jun 1793. The 1841 census recorded him as Farmer in Carstairs—age rounded down to 45—with sister Helen, aged 40. He died unm from bronchitis 18 Dec 1849, Carstairs.5 His Will was proved 5 months later at Glasgow Sheriff Court.
- Hugh, b c 1795; bur Carstairs 13 Jul 1802, aged 7.
- Hellen, b c 1797. In 1841 she was with brother William on his farm in Carstairs.6 Following his death in 1849 she was with brother Andrew in Glasgow in 1851.7 In 1861 she was in Bonhill, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire, aged 63, unm, Fund Holder, surname spelt Brockett, as the aunt of Christina JACK, daughter of Janet.8 Informant of sister Janet’s death in 1876, making her mark. In 1871 she was on her own in North Side, Carstairs, aged 73, born Carstairs, unmarried, Annuitant, surname mistranscribed Brackat for Brockat.9 She died unm 16 Jan 1879 of debility, aged 82, at 47 St Vincent Crescent, Anderston, Glasgow,10 buried Carstairs.
The 1861 census also recorded a Hellen in Carstairs Village, aged 64—b c 1797—unm, Head, Agricultural Labourer, b Carstairs. She must have been related, but how isn’t known. Maybe it was her, and the the aunt of Christina JACK in Bonhill was another Hellen.
Eldest son of William and Christian GELLIE was chr 7 Jul 1791 Carstairs. A Ship’s Joiner, he married Elizabeth THOMSON 23 Aug 1824 in Glasgow, 14 years his younger, daughter of Alexander THOMSON, Victualler, and Isabella STRACHAN. Elizabeth died of injury 4 days 24 Oct 1871 at 45 York St Glasgow, surname Brockat, aged 68, ie bc 1803.11.
Census records for Andrew and Elizabeth’s family: Read more
|1841||At 49 York St, Springburn, Glasgow: Andrew Brocket, Ship Joiner, aged 50; Elizabeth, 35; Andrew, 12; Alexander, 10; William, 8; John, 6; Elizabeth, 4; Christina, 2; Helen LAWSON, 15, Servant—all born in the County.|
|1851||At 24 York St, Parish of St George’s, Glasgow: Andrew Brocket, Head, Joiner employing 16 men, aged 60; Elizabeth, Wife, 46; with 6 unm children: Andrew, Joiner, 21; Alexander, Engineer, 19; William, Joiner, 17; John, Joiner, 15; Elizabeth, 13; Christina, 11; sister Helen, 54, Annuitant, unmarried—all b Glasgow, except Andrew snr and Helen both b Lanarkshire; Christina ORR, Servant, 21, b Inverary.|
|1861||At 2 York St, Parish of St George’s, Glasgow: Elizabeth Brocket, Head, Widow, Landed Proprietor, aged 57; with 4 unmarried children: William, 27, Shipwright employing 12 men, 2 boys; John, Engineer Land Surveyor, 25; Elizabeth, 23; Christina, 21—all b Glasgow.|
|1871||At 45 York St, Parish of St George’s, Glasgow: Elizabeth Brockat, Head, Widow, No Occupation, aged 68; with 4 unmarried children: William Brockat, 36, Master Joiner employing 20 men; John Brocket, 34, Widower, Engineer Manager at Works; Elizabeth Brocket, 39, No Occupation; Christina Brocket, 28, No Occupation—all b Glasgow.|
Andrew’s Will was proved 1855, Elizabeth’s 1873. Children:
- William, b 10 Aug 1825, Glasgow. Died before 1833 when brother William was born.
- Andrew, b 28 Aug 1829, Glasgow.
- Alexander, b 1 Sep 1831, Glasgow. Engineer 1851 and 67. 12 Married Flora DEWAR, b c 1844. Alexander died by 1871. Census records: Read more
1871 At Florence Villa, Woolston, Southampton, Hampshire, Flora BROCKAT, Widow, aged 27, Annuitant, b Falkirk; children: Flora D, 8, Scholar, b Bombay, India; Andrew A, 7, Scholar, b Southampton; John D, 4, Scholar, b Woolston. Also in the houshold were a female servant from Manchester, aged 12, and brother William B DEWAR, married, 30, Chief Engineer, b Falkirk. 1881 Not apparently recorded. 1891 At 5 Dr Crespigny Terrace, Camberwell, London, Florence W BROCKATT, Widow, aged 48, Head, Living on own means, b Scotland Falkirk; daughter Florence D, 28, Single, Living on own means, b India Bombay; son John D, 24, Clerk, Single, b Southampton. Also a 55 year-old Widow Boarder and a 22 year-old Single female General Servant. 1901 At 18 Stradella Road, Dulwich, Camberwell, London, Florence W BROCKATT, Widow, aged 58, Living on own means, b Scotland; Florence D, 38, Single, b India (British Subject); John D, 34, Single, b Southampton Woolston, Hants. 1911 At 18 Stradella Road S E, Camberwell, London, Florence Wright BROCKATT, Widow, aged 68, Head, b Scotland Falkirk; daughter Florence Dewar, 48, Single, b India Bombay; son John Dewar, 44, Single, b Hampshire Woolston, Feeble minded from birth. 3 chilldren born alive, 3 still living. 10 rooms in the house.
- Flora D, b c 1863 Bombay, India.13 No apparent marriage or 1901 or 1911 census record. Flora D Brockett died 1914 Brentford London, aged 51.14
- Andrew Alexander Dewar, b 1864 Southampton, Hampshire.15. Census records for Andrew Alexander: Read more
1891 At 194 Holly Lodge, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, Andrew A Brockatt, Head, single, aged 30, General Medical Practitioner Registered, b Hants Woolstone. 1901 In Great Malvern, Worcestershire, Andrew Brockatt, aged 40, Physician, b on the SS Malta, Indian Ocean. 1911 In Hazeldean, Malvern, Great Malvern, Worcestershire, Andrew Alexander Brockatt, aged 49, Physician, Single, Head, b at sea. With him 3 Single female servants, a Cook, aged 34, a Parlour Maid, 48, and a Housemaid, 21. 20 rooms in the house.
In 1913/4 he travelled, and probably emigrated, to the USA. But he returned, as Andrew A Brockatt died 1921 St George’s H Sq, London, aged 57 [ie b c 1864].16
- John Dewar Brockat, b 28 Mar 1867, Woolston St Mary Extra, Southampton.17 No apparent marriage or 1901 census record. Died 1955, Surrey NW.18
- William, b 19 Dec 1833, Glasgow. William was the informant on the death certificate of his mother in 1871 and his aunt Helen in 1879 at 47 St Vincent Crescent, Anderston, Gourock, Renfrewshire.Read more
1881 At 47 St Vincent Crescent, Anderston, William, aged 48, with sisters Elizabeth and Christina—all unmarried. 1891 At Dunclutha, Victoria Rd, Gourock, William, Head, aged 57 with sister Christina, both unmarried.
Occupation Joiner and Carpenter.19 He died unm 25 Nov 1894 at Dunclutha.20 The Glasgow Herald intimation of 28 Nov 1894 called him the ‘last surviving son of Andrew Brockat‘. His Will with codicils was recorded in the Court Books of the Commissariot of Renfrew 8 Jan 1895, estate valued at £3566 2s 6d.21
Census records for William:
- John, b 17 Oct 1835, chr 17 Nov 1835, Glasgow. Married Elizabeth Roy Durrie, who d 6 Oct 1868 of typhoid, aged 26, ‘wife of John Brockat Engineer’ at 26 Berry St, Bootle, Liverpool.22 John died Newcastle 1887.23 Will pr 8 Apr 1887.
- Elizabeth, b 17 Nov 1837, Glasgow. In the 1881 census for Gourock Elizabeth was living in 47 St Vincent Crescent, Anderston, aged 44 with brother William and sister Christina, all unmarried. The following year she died there 7 Feb.24
- Christina/Christian, b 22 Jan 1840, Glasgow.Read more
1881 At 47 St Vincent Crescent, Anderston, aged 42 with brother William and sister Elizabeth, all unmarried. 1891 At Dunclutha, Victoria Rd, Gourock, aged 51 with brother William, both unmarried. 1901 In Gourock, aged 60, Annuitant, with a servant.
She died 1 Dec 1902;25 bur Cathcart Cemetery. The informant of her death was her live-in maid.26
Census records for Christina:
- Helen, b 27 Jul 1842, chr 27 Aug 1842, Glasgow.27
The Carstairs Brockats were relatively wealthy farming folk, providing all 7 of the 19th C Scottish Broket Wills apart from the 1st in 1833:28
1. Andrew Brocket, Mason and Builder, residing in Glasgow—20 Sep 1833.
2. William Brockat, Farmer at Carstairs, brother to Hellen Brockat and Andrew Brockat—1 May 1850.
3. Andrew Brocket, Wright and Builder in Glasgow—3 May 1855.
4. Mrs Elizabeth Brockat, Alias Thomson, Widow of Andrew Brockat, residing in Glasgow—18 Mar 1873.
5. Elizabeth Brockat, St Vincent Crescent, Glasgow—27 Apr 1882.
6. John Brockat, 47 St Vincent Crescent, Glasgow, sometime of Newcastle and North Shields, Engineer’s Surveyor—8 Apr 1887.
7. William Brockat, Sometime Wright, York Street, Glasgow, afterwards residing in Gourock—8 Jan 1895.
Page Last Updated: April 5, 2020