Brockets of Scotland 19-20th C: Shotts
Shotts is in Lanarkshire c 9m NW of Carnwath and midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. One Carnwath Brocket family settled in Shotts, but apparently died out in the male line:
Robert, 1st son of James and Jean MANN, was born 15 Jun 1834 in Carnwath, and died 1909 in the E District of the parish of Shotts. He married Margaret WHITE 25 Nov 1864 in Whitburn, W Lothian, according to the United Original Secession Church, he a Mineral Borer, bachelor, aged 30 from Harthill, Shotts, she a spinster, 27 from Shotts, daughter of Archibald WHITE, a farmer. They lost 3 of their 4 children within 9 days in Jan 1872 from scarlatina. His occupation: 1872 and 78 Mineral Borer.1 Unless their son John had sons, this branch died out in the male line. Robert died E Dist Shotts 1909, aged 74. Margaret died Shotts 1919, aged 82.
Census records for Robert and family: Read more
|1861||In Stobwood as Mineral Borer, Robert, aged 26, living with his father and brother James.|
|1881||At Sweetbriars Cottage, Shotts, Robert Brocket, 46 b Carnwarth, Mineral Borer; Margaret, 44, b Whitburn, Linlithgow; all children b Shotts: Margaret, 13; Robert J A, 8; Marion J, 6; John, 4; Alexander, 2; Janet S, 1.|
|1891||In Main Street, Harthill Village, Shotts, Robert, aged 56, Mineral Borer employer, with wife Margaret, 54, and 6 unmarried children aged 11-23.|
|1901||In Main Street, Harthill Village, Shotts, Robert, aged 66, Boring Contractor with wife Margaret, 64, and 4 unmarried children aged 21-8.|
|1911||At 96 Station Rd, Harthill, Shotts (a separate house with 5 rooms with one or more windows), Widow Margaret W Brocket, aged 74, b Whitburn, Linlithgowsh., private means, married 50 years, 9 children, 6 living; son Robert J A, 38, Colliery Hill Contractor, Employer; Marion J, 36; John, 34, Linen Drapery Salesman, Worker; Janet S, 31, Dressmaker, on own account—all 4 children single and born in Shotts.|
- Jane/t, b c 1865;2 d 4 Jan 1872 Harthill, Shotts, of scarlet fever 2 days, aged 6.3
- James, b 25 Dec 1866 Shotts;4 d 8 Jan 1872 Shotts, of scarlet fever 2 days, aged 5,5
- Margaret, b 21 Mar 1868, Harthill, Shotts;6 d 1948, E District Shotts, Lanarkshire. Census records for Margaret: Read more
1901 At 20 Motherwell St, New Monkland, NE Lanarkshire, Maggie, aged 33, single, b Harthill, Domestic Nurse to her mother’s sister Jane White TAYLOR. Surname mistakenly indexed Brochet. 1911 At 18 Pringleton, Salisbury Villa, Penpont, Dumfriessshire (a separate house with 6 rooms with one or more windows), Margaret Brocket, aged 43, single, b Shotts, Housekeeper to John REID, 79, Widower, retired Superintendent of Police, b Dalkeith; and his namesake grandson, 24, Commercial Traveller, Visitor, b Glasgow.
- Archibald, b 11 Apr 1870 Harthill, Shotts;7 d 13 Jan 1872 Harthill, Shotts, of scarlatina 4 days, aged 21 months.8
- Robert James Archibald, b 22 Jun 1872, Shotts.9 Occupation 1901, Mineral Borer.10 Still single at 2811 and at death on 1 Oct 1928, Harthill, Lanarkshire12 or Hillhead, Glasgow W.13 It was probably he that was earning 23-4s a week as a Forester in 1896 and was taken in by a London dating scam. Like sister Janet, he was living at Ivy Cottage, Harthill, Lanarks, at his death, estate sealed London 8 Aug 1929, on confirmation of brother John Brocket.14
- Marion Jane, b 6 Oct 1874 Shotts.15 Still single at 26.16 ?Died 1929 Dennistown Glasgow W, aged 56 [ie b c 1873].17
- John, b 1876, Shotts; d 1956, Whitburn, W Lothian.18 Still single at 24, boarding in Edinburgh at 8 South St David Street.19 Witness to brother Alexander’s marriage; informant of brother Robert’s death. Occupation 1901, Draper’s Assistant;20 1928 Manager.21 Living in Harthill, Lanarks, at death 11 Feb 1956, estate sealed London, on confirmation of Margaret Brocket or Wilson.22
- Alexander, b 28 Nov 1878, Harthill, E District Shotts;23 d 6 Feb 1944, Govan, Glasgow.24 He married Isabella IRONSIDE 20 Apr 1908 in the Star Hotel in Kingussie, according to the established Church of Scotland,25 he a Joiner, aged 29, bachelor residing 685 St George’s Rd, Glasgow, she a Domestic Servant, 28, from Kingussie, perhaps working in Glasgow. Alexander was with his parents for the 1891 and 1901 censuses.Census records for Alexander and family: Read more
1901 In Main St, E Shotts, Alexander Brocket, aged 22, single, b Shotts. 1911 At 46 Springhill Gardens, Langside, Cathcart, Glasgow (a separate apartment with 2 rooms with one or more windows; 9 other families in separate apartments in the same building), Alexander Brocket, aged 32, Joiner, b Harthill; wife Isabella, 30, married 2 years, no children, b Alvey, Invernesshire.
Resided 17 Darvel St, Nitshill, Glasgow 1944.26 Child:
- Janet Stewart, b 1880, E District Shotts, Lanarkshire. At parents’ home aged 21 for the 1901 census. Like brother Robert, living at Ivy Cottage, Harthill, Lanarks, at her death 7 May 1928, estate sealed London 22 Sep 1928, on confirmation of brother John Brocket, Manager.30
Page Last Updated: April 6, 2020